Regulations and Disclosures
- Category: ACADEMICS
California Education Code (CEC) section 94934 requires institutions to submit an annual report to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) that includes the following.
- The total number of students enrolled by level of degree or for a diploma;
- The number of degrees, by level, and diplomas awarded;
- The degree levels and diplomas offered;
- The Performance Fact Sheet
- The school catalog
- The total charges for each educational program
- A statement indicating whether the institution is, or is not, current in remitting Student Tuition Recovery Fund assessments;
- A statement indicating whether an accrediting agency has taken any final disciplinary action against the institution, if applicable;
- Additional information deemed by the Bureau to be reasonably required to ascertain compliance with the law.
- Annual Report (2015)
- School Performance Fact Sheet
- Sample Enrollment Agreement
- Brochures & Newsletters
- Consumer Information Disclosure
Hawthorn University is approved to operate programs in holistic nutrition by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE); school code #48441699. Hawthorn University is a private not for profit institution approved to operate by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. Approval to operate means the institution is compliant with the minimum standards contained in the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 (as amended) and Division 7.5 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. Hawthorn University is not accredited. Students are not eligible for federal financial aid. A degree program that is unaccredited or a degree from an unaccredited institution is not recognized for some employment positions, including, but not limited to, positions with the state of California and other states.
On September 7, 2016, the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education renewed Hawthorn University's (Institution Code: 48441699) approval to operate for 5 years, contingent upon the institution's ability to comply with the mandatory provisions of Senate Bill (SB) 1247 and achieve accreditation by the July 1, 2020 deadline. Any questions a student may have regarding the approval of the BPPE that have not been satisfactorily answered by the institution may be directed to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833, P.O. Box 980818, West Sacramento, CA 95798-0808, Web Address: http://www.bppe.ca.gov; Telephone: (888) 370-7589 or (916) 431-6959 or by fax (916) 263-1897.
A student or any member of the public may file a complaint about this institution with the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education by calling (888) 370-7589 or by completing a complaint form, which can be obtained on the bureau's Internet Web site at www.bppe.ca.gov.
See statement on page 7 of Assembly Bill No. 2296, Chapter 585.
Enrollment and Graduation Statistics as of 8/23/17
In the past 3 years (2014-2016), Hawthorn enrolled 263 new students. Of this total, 100 (38%) students are still enrolled and making progress toward their degree or certificate and 34 (13%) have graduated for a combined success rate of 51%.
In the past 3 years (2014-2016), Hawthorn enrolled 142 new students in degree programs. Of this total, 52 (37%) students are still enrolled and making progress toward their degree and 22 (15%) have graduated for a combined success rate of 52%.
In the past 3 years (2014-2016), Hawthorn enrolled 121 new certificate program students. Of this total, 48 (40%) students are still enrolled and making progress toward their certificate and 12 (10%) have graduated for a combined success rate of 50%.
Notice to Prospective Degree Program Students:
This institution is approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education to offer degree programs. To continue to offer degree programs, this institution must meet the following requirements:
• Become institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, with the scope of the accreditation covering at least one degree program.
• Achieve accreditation candidacy or pre-accreditation, as defined in regulations, by July 1, 2017, and full accreditation by July 1, 2020. If this institution stops pursuing accreditation, it must:
• Stop all enrollment in its degree programs, and
• Provide a teach-out to finish the educational program or provide a refund.
An institution that fails to comply with accreditation requirements by the required dates shall have its approval to offer degree programs automatically suspended.
Institutional Representative Initials: _______ Date: _______
Student Initials: _______ Date: _______
- Please note the following in regards to the Notice to Prospective Degree Program Students:
- The student and an institutional representative shall initial and date the notice prior to executing an enrollment agreement. An initialed copy of the notice shall b given to the student and the original shall be retained in the enrolled students' records.
We are excited about this new undertaking and the opportunities it will afford our students, Presently, we are working hard and in healthy ways, demonstrating our commitment to life long learning for the university as well as within the university. Also, we have every intention of following the above mandated requirements of the Bureau.