Military Spouses - MyCAA
- Category: Enrollment Options
MyCAA is a Department of Defense (DoD) program that supports the educational pursuits of military spouses by providing up to $4,000 in financial assistance for preparation in high-growth, high-demand portable career fields. Hawthorn University is please to be an approved school for the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA).
MyCAA is a career development and employment assistance program sponsored by the Department of Defense (DoD) that helps military spouses receive certificates and licenses that lead to employment.
Eligibility for assistance is available to spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2, including the spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members within those ranks. Spouses of Guard and Reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders. Eligibility ends when the sponsor leaves active duty.
How Does MyCAA Work?
The program offers a maximum financial benefit of $4,000 with a fiscal year cap of $2,000. Waivers will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000. Hawthorn's certificate programs are available and approved for military spouses and can be completed within three years from the start date of the first course.
What is the MyCAA process?
For assistance in the MyCAA application process or for any questions or concerns, access Military One Source, the virtual counseling center, online or by phone at 800-342-9647.
- Establish your MyCAA account - create a profile;
- Ensure you are confirmed as DEERS benefit eligible;
- You must agree to seek employment in Portable Career Fields upon completion of your program;
- When you are in the MyCAA website, select Hawthorn University and then select your desired certificate program;
- Create your Career and Training plan. Make sure you save it and submit it for approval;
- A MyCAA consultant must approve your career plan. Following approval, you must apply for Financial Assistance for the term starting within the next 30 days;
- The Financial Assistance is paid directly to Hawthorn University.
Prospective students are encouraged to work with Hawthorn's director of admissions while going through the approval process. The director will advise the applicant as to the necessary documentation required to admission into Hawthorn.
What is a Portable Career?
A portable career is one that is likely to provide job opportunities where military service members are stations. Nutrition counseling and education is considered a portable career.
What does MyCAA pay for?
My CAA does NOT pay for computers, school application fees, graduation fees, student activity cards, child care, parking, transportation, or medical services. As a fully online school, there is no worry about parking or transportation. Books are not included in the price of tuition and must be paid for by the student.